Celebrate Earth Day with your Pet
While striving to live eco-friendly is always important, with Earth Day just around the corner there’s no better time to instill a few more green habits into our routines! While your furry friend may not be able to adopt these habits themselves, here are some ways you can live a more environmentally friendly lifestyle with your pet and celebrate Earth Day together.
If you aren’t already doing so, recycling pet food containers when possible is a small task that can have a big impact. Many pet food containers will state whether they can be recycled, just like our food packaging does. Also, if you usually clean up after your pet in your home with paper towels consider using old towels or rags to reduce the amount of waste being produced. Lastly, we always want our companions to have access to fresh water and when it comes time to refresh the water in your pet’s dish, try using what’s left to water any houseplants you may have.
Of course, one of the easiest ways to celebrate Earth Day with your pet is to get outside and enjoy nature together! Take your furry friend for a long walk or enjoy some quality time together in your backyard and get as much fresh air as possible. As we’re entering flea and tick season, be sure to inspect your pet’s fur following your outdoor adventure.
Declutter and Donate
Cleaning up and decluttering is another great way to celebrate Earth Day with your pet. If your furry friend has some toys, beds, coats, collars or other items that they once loved but have now moved on from, consider donating them to your local humane society, rescue or shelter if they are still in good condition. While they may not all be accepting donations at this time due to the current situation surrounding COVID-19, you can always pack them away neatly in a box so they are ready to be donated at a later date.
If the weather allows, consider bringing your pet outdoors with you while you do some gardening! Whether planning to plant flowers or vegetables, it’s important to do your research beforehand to ensure you aren’t planting anything that could potentially be harmful to your four-legged family member. When ingested, there are some plants that are toxic to pets and can cause them to become ill or worse, so be sure whatever you’re planting doesn’t fall into this category.
Earth Friendly Products
In addition to adopting greener habits, there are also some products that can help you live more earth friendly.
- Yesterday’s News is cat litter that is healthy for your cat, healthy for your home and healthy for the world! Made with recycled paper, not only does Yesterday’s News cat litter help decrease landfill waste, but it’s tough on odours, non-toxic, 99.7% dust free and low tracking.
- Unlike traditional plastic bags, Earth Rated’s dark green bags contain an EPI additive that helps them to break down. Not only can they help you stop feeling guilty about using traditional plastic bags, but they’re thick, tough and totally leak-proof to prevent messes! Earth Rated also offers compostable bags that are made from vegetable starches, are unscented and can be disposed of in a municipal compost facility where pet waste is accepted.
- If your furry friend is in need of a new collar or leash, Coastal’s New Earth Soy products offer a great option. Featuring a blend of soy fibers that are a natural byproduct of food manufacturing, these collars and leashes are durable and compliment an eco-conscious lifestyle.
There are also a number of natural shampoos and conditioners that can help keep your four-legged family member clean!
- Burt’s Bees: A pioneer in developing natural health and beauty care products that are earth-friendly, Burt’s Bees offers shampoos, conditioners and other solutions to keep your furry friend feeling fresh.
- Soos Pets: Enriched with Dead Sea minerals, Soos Pets grooming products are made with natural, plant-based ingredients and are formulated to treat the unique needs of every pet.
- Earthbath: Made with natural, organic ingredients, Earthbath products are designed with the health of your pet in mind, are non-toxic and contain no artificial colours, parabens, sulfates, phthalates or phosphates.
- Tropiclean: Featuring naturally sourced, wholesome ingredients, Tropiclean offers shampoos and conditioners that are designed to treat a variety of conditions through odour elimination, itch relief, coat restoration and more!