Senior Dog Food
As we get older, taking care of ourselves and making health-conscious decisions becomes more and more important. While we’re able to make these decisions for ourselves, it’s important to also make healthy decisions on behalf of our four-legged family members to help them age as gracefully as possible.
Depending on size and breed, your dog can be considered a senior somewhere between the ages of seven to 13. As your furry friend ages, it’s important to be aware of any physical and mental changes they may experience, such as:
- Decreased lean muscle mass and increased fat mass
- Possible weight gain
- Reduced mobility
- Reduced metabolism
- Less shiny and thinner coat
- Greying muzzle
- Less efficient immune system
- Reduced ability to digest and absorb nutrients
- Changes in vision, hearing and taste
- Changes in mental sharpness
Around age seven, dogs can also unfortunately experience a change in the glucose metabolism in their brain. This can affect their memory, learning, awareness and decision-making. Luckily, feeding a dog food specially formulated for seniors has the potential to help your canine companion stay sharp as they age!
Through proprietary research, Purina® has found that dogs aged seven or older can benefit from the addition of enhanced botanical oils to their diet as an additional source of energy for the brain. Helping to naturally nourish their minds, Purina® Pro Plan® BRIGHT MIND® ADULT 7+ features enhanced botanical oils to help promote memory, attention and trainability in your senior furry friend! Senior dogs that are fed this formula may experience changes in activity levels, interest in playing, adaptability and ability to cope with change.
Specially formulated to help meet the unique nutritional needs of senior dogs, Purina® Pro Plan® BRIGHT MIND® ADULT 7+ offers the following benefits to dogs aged seven or older:
- High-quality protein, including chicken, as the first ingredient, to support lean muscle mass
- EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, and glucosamine to help support joint health and mobility
- Vitamin A and linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid, for healthy skin and coat
- Enhanced botanical oils shown to promote alertness and mental sharpness in dogs age seven and older, with visible results within 30 days
While this innovative formula can potentially offer many benefits to your senior four-legged family member, it’s important to consult your veterinarian to make sure you select the food that is best suited to their nutritional needs.